The Vistas on the James is a 140+ unit complex in the Shockoe neighborhood in Downtown Richmond.
VotJ largely sets the market for condos in Richmond as its location is superior, the views are superlative and the accompanying amenities are more robust than any other project.
Built and sold largely before the market collapsed, the majority of the condos were sold at or near the height of the market. Many of the original owners are in a somewhat tenuous position until the market returns (or comes close to returning) to the valuations of 2006.
As the most secure project, the 24 hour security in the lobby largely keeps the project quiet and without incident. For those who travel often or have other security concerns, VotJ is regarded highly.
Pricing (on both a per foot and per unit metric) is the highest in Richmond.
Things to keep in mind when buying at the Vistas:
- The comparable sales are the toughest to interpret as the height of the building and the direction of the views can radically affect pricing
- The restrictive pet limit is a negative to many
- There have been several legal battles between the association and the developer (that seem to have been resolved)
- The dues are some of the highest in Richmond
- Stephen Spielberg stayed in Unit 1501 during the filming of Lincoln in 2012/3